Did you find it hard reading those bad files generated for targets on your system? Let’s explore the most effective Error logging and handling technique / solution in informatica ..
Error Handling is one of the most important components in any project. Power Center Integration service provides a centralized error logging system that facilitate to log the error and rejected data into relational tables or flat files very effectively and further let your technical team to review and validate the errors; and of course to profile them to data stakeholders for the next action.
What needs to be captured in Informatica error handling ?
Basically any application fact sheet discuss two groups of error handling –
# First, the Error, most critical in nature, technical team with no choice has to drop this data and stop the further data process till it is reviewed and resolved.
# Second, the Error, but not critical in nature; Its scope is restricted to a particular record; Reject that record and continue with the rest of the good data.
# Design – Lets discuss the Informatica error handling design, that could be easily incorporated in your entire project based on the solution need. Change your default session config so that error logging is activated, so that the changes applied in the entire project.
How to enable Error Handling / Logging in Informatica ? [ Screenshots ]
5 Steps to configure a session / project to have automatic error logging feature –
- Go to Config Object of a session or directly change the common session config slated for the entire project
- Select Error Log type as Relational Database / Flat file (this example has database logging)
- Give relational database connection for the error logging
- You can optionally give a prefix for the error tables, say if wish to preserve the entire HR systems errors in HR error tables( prefix as “HR_” )
- If you wish to log errors in a flat file, give error log file directory and filename
What are the Advantages of Error Handling / Logging in Informatica ?
Advantages of this solution –
- Centralized error logging and reporting
- Great visibility to the data rejects
- Reduced efforts in Error logging development process
- Potentially scalable solution for other sessions
- No immense impact on performance
- No bad files for every target instance
Answer to all the open questions now 🙂
- Informatica itself will create error table in given schema with the name specified here.
- You don’t have to involve DBA for this change and etc. here.
- You don’t have to create any specific mapping or different data flow to get Informatica error handling accomplished . Is not it easy.
No doubt this solution from Informatica serves the greatest advantage of logging errors in your system, however it report the complete error record, but does not isolate the particular column that has caused the entire record to reject. We will discuss more about this solution in terms of error tables, sample reject data and generating a dashboard for effective profiling of this error data in future post.