Informatica Power center is changing and adding new add-on and features to it. It is getting more and more useful for developers (Coders) like us. Very recently Informatica released new version 9.5.1 of power center. Ever wonder what developers have in it for them ?
Who should read this post? This post might not be helpful for New Power Center users. One needs to have good experience in ETL code development. Senior developers/Architects with keen understanding of organizations ETL needs can spend time on this.
Informatica products are getting ready to meet future business needs. Informatica version 9 is another such release that embraces many new features to add value to business and IT. Below are the new features in Informatica 9 over Informatica version 8.X.X
1. (Power center 9 .X.X new feature ) Informatica 9 has significant functionality in SOA based (architecture) data services. Open SOA based data services in Informatica 9 offering added benefits to business and IT. Since the world of virtualization is growing, Informatica 9 will now allow to access data in private or shared cloud with its multi model data provisioning services. With Informatica 9, data can be possibly delivered using web services and SQL servers with no extra efforts from IT.
2. ( power center 9 .X.X new feature ) Informatica administrator tool has widened its capability to handle connection management. You can now create and manage connections from Informatica administrator rule in addition to the workflow manager. Informatica 9 will enable you to manage your PowerCenter, PowerExchange, Data quality and Data Services from a single administrator console
3. Informatica has new application services known as Data Integration service and Analyst Services. Data Integration Service process requests from Informatica developer and Informatica analyst tools to execute the data profiles where Analyst service runs Informatica Analyst.
4. ( 9 .X.X new feature ) Enhanced data quality capabilities in Informatica 9 will allow the users (IT & Business) to specify the data quality rules for all and any data. All users can take
owner ship of their specific data quality requirement to fulfill the application data quality needs, but for a business user it attracts a decent training and hands-on to get familiar with writing and editing rules and expressions from analyst tool.
5. A new tool Informatica Analyst is introduced in Version 9 . It is a web-based application client that business and analysts can use to analyze, cleanse, standardize, and profile in an enterprise. Business analysts and developers use Informatica Analyst to collaborate work on a single repository. You can perform below –
( 9 .X.X new feature ) Profile data. When do you profile the data? Probably before I start understanding the data or when you are required to understand the patterns in the data before
building a solution or may be to understand the data volumes that are not meeting the proposed standards. Informatica Analyze will help you to analyze the data structures by profiling the data.
( 9 .X.X new feature ) Create rules in profiles. Of course you can create and apply rules., rules are nothing but business logic(s) that data providers agreed or data is expected to be abide. Thus Informatica analyzer will help you to measure the quality of the data by writing metrics for bad records and duplicate records and every other deviation. I would not want to miss the fact that you can also generate score cards with this tool. In addition it will also help you to manage your reference data
6. Informatica 9 supports data integration for the cloud as well as on-premise. You can integrate data in cloud applications, as well as run Informatica 9 on cloud infrastructures.
7. PowerCenter 9 has some major enhancements for high availability and real time sessions. You can limit the size of session logs that are being created and you can also put a limit on number of log files.
8. ( power center 9 .X.X new feature ) PowerCenter lookup transformation now can be an active transformation over its traditional nature of being a passive transformation. Lookup can be configured to return all the values upon matching the specified lookup condition. Of course something more with lookup – SQL overrides are now possible with un-cached lookup transformations.
9. ( power center 9 .X.X new feature ) SQL Transformation can now be a passive transformation returning exactly one row for each input.
10. And of course Informatica 9 ( power center 9 .X.X new feature ) is packaged with a new powerexchange adapter for HP Neoview ( Much awaited ).
We hope that this is helpful to build some understanding on informatica powercenter 9 new features and add-ons ETL developer should know. There could be more significant features which can be added, do let us know?