You might need to read Informatica Tutorial initiative to understand the objective behind such basic article. People with experience should avoid reading this.
Intent is to build a basic understanding of informatica workflow in general like what is a workflow?
What are the different tasks in Informatica workflow? What workflow properties do you set when you create a new workflow?
Workflow is in itself is a very common term in technology. I have heard of it in ERP , ETL, SharePoint, Informatica, SAP, CRM etc. Very basic meaning of workflow in IT is sequence of activity which can be performed repeatedly.
What is a workflow in informatica ? Informatica Workflow, very well known executable in Informatica. An Informatica Workflow holds a collection of various Informatica tasks such as Session, Event tasks, Decision task, Email task, Link task and more, worklets and their logical sequence of execution.
Informatica Workflow Looks like as below screen shot –
lots of properties and tabs right ?
1. Concurrent Execution. When a Workflow is enabled for concurrent execution, it can be run multiple instances of the workflow at a same time. You can enable a workflow for a concurrent execution, and also can configure Concurrent Execution Method.
– Concurrent workflows with the same instance name. In this method, you can configure one workflow to run multiple instances at a given time. Each of these instances will have same source, target and parameter values.
– Concurrent Workflows with unique workflow instances. You can define multiple workflow instances with unique name for each instance. Here you can enjoy the freedom of defining different sources, targets and variables by passing unique parameter files.
Note on Concurrent Execution – If a workflow is enabled for concurrent execution, the worklet members of the particular workflow should also be enabled for concurrent execution else the workflow will fail.
2. Define Events. You can define the events and raise those events in Event raise task. Though events can be of anytype and this information is good enough to start with. Events need to be a different topic to be discussed in detail.
3. Define and Assign Schedules. you can let your Informatica workflow run on demand or allow it to run based on a standalone or recurring schedule. You can define and configure schedules from Informatica Workflow. You can define a schedule and share it across the workflow by making it reusable. “RUN ON DEMAND” means a WF not assigned to any schedule. Scheduling, Scheduler types, Inbuilt Informatica scheduler is itself a different subject to be discussed in future.
4. Define Workflow Variables. In order to use the workflow variables, it is important to define the variable in a workflow. and the values are assigned to these workflow variables later at the session level.
5. Assign Integration Service. Optionally you can configure the Informatica integration service to be used to execute this workflow however the integration service can also be passed through a parameter files
6. Configure WebServices. Webservices can be configured from Informatica Workflow.
7. Suspension Email. You can configure Email text / message you intend Informatica to send when the workflow is suspended.
8. Parameter File. You can define and pass the workflow parameter file name.