Please read Informatica Tutorial initiative to understand the objective behind such articles. Readers with Informatica experience can continue reading …
Informatica power center comes with its own scheduler. In-built Informatica scheduler can be easily used through work flow.
In industry there are many scheduler which are enterprise class in nature, Most of the time organization prefer to keep loading jobs get invoked through enterprise scheduler. Informatica power center in built scheduler has its own advantages like
- Test jobs in QA environment with dummy dataset.
- Pre- Prod runs to ensure data quality and good ETL performance.
- Sand box runs in case you are running a parallel data loading for any system which is being planned for sunset.
Below is few of the most challenging situation or scenarios you might come across in terms Informatica scheduling or Informatica scheduler.
1. What happens to the scheduled workflow if the previous instance of the workflow fails?
Informatica removes the workflow from schedule, and you are required to reschedule it.
2. Does Informatica Scheduler allow you to add file or job dependencies?
No. Read Dependencies point (below) for details
3. How to configure scheduler for multi instance Workflows?
You cannot explicitly define it, the schedule defined for workflow will be applied to all the instances.
Informatica Scheduler – Introduction
Job Scheduling is a wonderful feature in Informatica. Informatica Scheduler is a mean to trigger the jobs (aka Informatica Workflows) at desired time without any manual intervention. Let’s discuss how to create Job Schedules in Informatica Scheduler..
There are two types of schedules available in Informatica.
1. Reusable Schedule – Perfect option when you have many Workflows that require to be scheduled in similar manner such as same trigger time, same frequency of execution etc
2. Non Reusable Schedule – Suitable if the workflow is stand alone in nature and any of the existing schedules could not be scaled to the new workflow.
How to Schedule an Informatica Workflow?
Workflows can be scheduled from Workflow manager.
1. Goto scheduler tab in Workflow properties
2. Select either a reusable schedule or create a new schedule here.
3. And OK
A sample run schedule – For reference
Informatica Scheduler – Configuration
These are the factors Informatica support in Job Scheduling –
1. Run Options – Supports to run the Workflow on Integration service initialization, On demand, and continuously
2. Schedule Options – You can configure workflow to run once / run every regular interval (for example every monday) / run on custom dates you explicitly define in the schedule.
3. Start Options – Explain when to start the workflow
4. End Options – Explain when to end the workflow. This option is open when you configure the workflow to run many times.
How To Add Dependencies In Informatica Scheduler?
An inevitable point to consider in any Job scheduling is Dependency. Dependency explain the accurate conditions to start a workflow / Job, Let’s talk about the different dependencies –
1. Time Dependency – Explains the accurate time the Workflow can be triggered – It can be a particular day / date / time. Informatica very well support you to define the time dependency for a workflow.
2. File Dependency – For example, Some Jobs require to wait till the source file is available. This cannot be directly defined in an Informatica scheduler but could be handled by creating an Event wait combined with time dependency
3. Job Dependency – for example Job 2 can be triggered when Job 1 is complete. This can again be achieved by adding a time schedule combined with an Event task. You should essentially configure your Job 1 to create some file trigger as a pre-requisite.
I would appreciate further inputs for the same.